Yufang Jin, Ph.D.
3204 Croul Hall
Department of Earth System Science
University of California
Irvine, CA 92697-3100
My research interest is in the physical and biogeochemical aspects of global environment change.
I use primarily satellite remote sensing observations and advanced geospatial techniques to study the complex processes and feedbacks in climate-vegetation-human system. My specific research areas include (1) monitoring the biogeophysical properties of land surface and detecting changes, (2) investigating ecological responses to climate change and disturbances, and (3) quantifying the effects of various disturbance agents on ecosystem dynamics and energy budget.
- Satellite remote sensing of terrestrial ecosystems
- Earth's radiative energy and water budget
- Ecosystem change
- Geographyic information system
Doctor of Philosophy in Geography , Boston University, Boston, MA       2002
Department of Geography and Center for Remote Sensing
Master of Science in Environmental Sciences, Peking (Beijing) University       1998
Advisor: Dr. Alan H. Strahler and Dr. Crystal B. Schaaf
Thesis: Evaluation, improvement, and applications of MODIS surface BRDF/Albedo retrieval
Center for Environmental Sciences
Bachelor of Science in Atmospheric Physics, Peking (Beijing) University       1995
Advisor: Professor Shengji Luan
Thesis: Applications of broadband extinction algorithm in atmospheric correction of satellite
remotely sensed images
Department of Geophysics
Advisor: Beiying Wu
Thesis: Twilight polarization and optical depth of stratospheric aerosols over Beijing
after the Pinatubo volcanic eruption
Minor: Economic Geography
Assistant and Associate Researcher, Department of Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine, CA
March 2005 -
Assistant Research Scientist, Department of Geography, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
April 2003 - February 2005
Postdoc Research Associate , Department of Geography, Boston Univeristy, Boston, MA
August 2002 - March 2003
- Lecturer, Satellite remote sensing of environment and digital image processing, graduate-level course (ESS280A, 4 credit hours, lecture and computer lab), University of California, Fall 2010.
- Guest Lecturer,Global retrieval of surface albedo from satellite observations, at the seminar course Remote sensing of terrestrial global change: past, present and future, the Department of Geography, University of Maryland, Fall 2004.
- Guest Lecturer, Burned area detection using multi-temporal MODIS observations at Land use and land cover change course, the Department of Geography, University of Maryland,Spring 2004.
- 2010 ~ 2013, NASA Interdisciplinary Science, Fires in Southern California: Interactions Between Climate Change, Ecosystems, and Humans, Y. Jin (PI), Co-PIs: J. Randerson, M. Goulden, Q. Li and A. Hall, and S. Hook.
- 2008 ~ 2011, NASA New Investigator Program (NIP), Fire-induced Changes in Albedo and the Associated Radiative Forcing: a Comparison of Boreal Canada and Australia Tropical Savannas, Y. Jin (PI).
- 2008 ~ 2011, NASA Carbon Cycle, Quantifying Changes in Northern High Latitude Ecosystems and Associated Feedbacks to the Climate System. Y. Jin (Co-I) with S. Goetz (PI), J. Randerson (Co-I), and M. Mack (Co-I).
- 2008 ~ 2011, NASA Earth System Research Science, Fire-emissions Derived from Aqua and Terra Satellites, Y. Jin (Co-I) with J. Randerson (PI) and other Co-Is.
- 2006 ~ 2010, NSF, Fire at the Intersection of Global Carbon and Water Cycles, Y. Jin (Co-I) with J. Randerson (PI) and other Co-Is.
- Jin, Y., J. T. Randerson, M. L. Goulden, and S. J. Goetz (2012), Post-fire changes in net shortwave radiation along a latitudinal gradient in boreal North America, Geophysical Research Letters, 39, L13403, doi:10.1029/2012GL051790.
- Jin, Y., J. T. Randerson, S. J. Goetz, P. S. A. Beck, M. M. Loranty, and M. L. Goulden (2012), The influence of burn severity on post-fire vegetation recovery and albedo change during early succession in North American boreal forests, Journal of Geophysical Research, 117, G01036, doi:10.1029/2011JG001886.
- Anderson, R.G., Y. Jin, and M. L. Goulden (2012), Assessing regional evapotranspiration and water balance across a Mediterranean montane climate gradient, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 166-167, 10-22, doi:10.1016/j.agrformet.2012.07.004.
- Lin, H.-w., Y. Jin, L. Giglio, J.A. Foley, and J.T. Randerson (2012), Evaluating greenhouse gas emissions reporting systems for agricultural waste burning using satellite observations of active fires, Ecological Applications, 22(4),1345-1364.
- Chen, Y., J. T. Randerson, D. C. Morton, R. S. DeFries, G. J. Collatz, P. S. Kasibhatla, L. Giglio, Y. Jin, and M. E. Marlier (2011), Forecasting fire season severity in South America using Sea Surface Temperature Anomalies, Science, 334(6057), 787-791, doi: 10.1126/science.1209472.
- Jin, Y., J.T. Randerson, and M. L. Goulden (2011), Continental-scale net radiation and evapotranspiration estimated using MODIS satellite observations, Remote Sensing of Environment, 115(9), 2302-2319, doi: 10.1016/j.rse.2011.04.031.
- Beck, P. S. A., S. J. Goetz, M.C. Mack, H.D. Alexander, Y. Jin, J. T. Randerson, and M. M. Loranty (2011), The impacts and implications of an intensifying fire regime on Alaskan boreal forest composition and albedo, Global Change Biology, 17, 2853–2866. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2011.02412.x
- van Leeuwen, T.T., A.J. Frank, Y. Jin, P.J. Smyth, M.L. Goulden, G.R. van der Werf, and J.T. Randerson (2011), Optimal use of land surface temperature data to detect changes in tropical forest cover, Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 116, G02002, doi:10.1029/2010JG001488.
- van der Werf, G.R., J.T. Randerson, L. Giglio, G.J. Collatz, M. Mu, P.S. Kasibhatla, D.C. Morton, R.S. DeFries, Y. Jin, and T.T. van Leeuwen (2010), Global fire emissions and the contribution of deforestation, savanna, forest, agricultural, and peat fires (1997–2009), Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 10, 1-28, doi:10.5194/acp-10-1-2010.
- Lyons, E.A., Y. Jin, and J.T. Randerson (2008), Changes in surface albedo after fire in boreal forest ecosystems of interior Alaska assessed using MODIS satellite observations, Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 113, G02012, doi:10.1029/2007JG000606.
- Randerson, J. T., H. Liu, M. G. Flanner, S. D. Chambers, Y. Jin, P. G. Hess, G. Pfister, M. C. Mack, K. K. Treseder, L. R. Welp, F. S. Chapin, J. W. Harden, M. L. Goulden, E. Lyons, J. C. Neff, E. A. G. Schuur and C. S. Zender, The Impact of Boreal Forest Fire on Climate Warming, Science, 314, 1130-1133, doi:10.1126, 2006.
- Salomon, J., C. B. Schaaf, A. H. Strahler, F. Gao, and Y. Jin (2006), Validation of the MODIS Bidirectional Reflectance Distribution Function and albedo retrievals using combined observations from the Aqua and Terra platforms, IEEE Transaction on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 44(6), 1555-1565, doi: 10.1109/TGRS.2006.871564.
- Jin, Y., D.P. Roy, Fire-induced albedo change and its radiative forcing at the surface in northern
Australia, Geophys. Res. Lett., vol. 32, doi:10.1029/2005GL022822, 2005.
- Roy, D.P., Y. Jin, P.E. Lewis, and C.O. Justice, Prototyping a global algorithm for systematic
fire-affected area mapping using MODIS time series data, Remote Sens. Environ.,
vol.97, 137-162, 2005.
- Diner, D.J., B.H. Braswell, R. Davies, N. Gobron, J. Hu, Y. Jin, R.A. Kahn, Y. Knyazikhin,
N. Loeb, J.-P. Muller, A.W. Nolin, B. Pinty, C.B. Schaaf, G. Seiz, and J. Stroeve,
The value of multiangle measurements for retrieving structurally and radiatively consistent
properties of clouds, aerosols, and surfaces, Remote Sens. Environ., vol. 97, 495-518, 2005.
- Oleson, K.W., G.B. Bonan, C.B. Schaaf, F. Gao, Y. Jin, and A.H. Strahler, Assessment of global
climate model land surface albedo using MODIS data, Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(8), 1443, 10.1029/2002GL016749, 2003.
- Jin, Y., C.B. Schaaf, F. Gao, X. Li, A. H. Strahler, W. Lucht, and S. Liang, Consistency
of MODIS surface BRDF/Albedo retrieval, 1. Algorithom performance, J. Geophys. Res., 108(D5),
4158, 10.1029/2002JD002803, 2003.
- Jin, Y., C.B. Schaaf, C.E. Woodcock, F. Gao, X. Li, A.H. Strahler, W. Lucht, and S. Liang,
Consistency of MODIS surface BRDF/albedo retrieval, 2. Validation, J. Geophys. Res.,
108(D5), 4159, 10.1029/2002JD002804, 2003.
- Gao, F., C.B. Schaaf, A.H. Strahler, Y. Jin, and X. Li, Detecting vegetation structure using
a kernel based BRDF model. Remote Sens. Environ., 86(2), 198-205, 2003.
- Jin, Y., F. Gao, C.B. Schaaf, X. Li, A.H. Strahler, C.J. Bruegge, and J.V. Martonchik, Improving
MODIS surface BRDF/Albedo retrievals with MISR observations, IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens.,
vol. 40, No. 7, 1,593-1,604, 2002.
- Gao, F., Y. Jin, C.B. Schaaf, X. Li, A.H. Strahler, Bi-directional NDVI and atmospherically
resistant BRDF inversion for vegetation canopy, IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens.,
vol. 40, No. 6, 1,269-1,278, 2002.
- Jin, Y., C.B. Schaaf, F. Gao, X. Li, A.H. Strahler, X. Zeng, and R.E. Dickinson,
How does snow impact the albedo of vegetated land surfaces as analyzed with MODIS data?
Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(10), 10.1029/2001GL014132, 2002.
- Zhou, L., R. E. Dickinson, Y. Tian, X. Zeng, Y. Dai, Z. Yang, C. B. Schaaf, F. Gao, Y. Jin,
A. Strahler, R.B. Myneni, H.Yu, W. Wu, and M. Shaikh, Comparison of seasonal and spatial
variations of albedos from Moderate-Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) and
Common Land Model, J. Geophys. Res., 108(D15), 4488, 10.1029/2002JD003326, 2003.
- Schaaf, C.B., F. Gao, A.H. Strahler, W. Lucht, X. Li, T. Tsang, N.C. Strugnell, X. Zhang, Y. Jin,
J.-P. Muller, P. Lewis, M. Barnsley, P. Hobson, M. Disney, G. Roberts, M. Dunderdale, C. Doll,
R. d'Entremont, B. Hu, S. Liang, and J.L. Privette, First operational BRDF, albedo and nadir
reflectance products from MODIS, Remote Sens. Environ., 83, 135-148, 2002.
- Wu, B., and Y. Jin, Twilight polarization and optical depth of stratospheric aerosols over
Beijing after the Pinatubo volcanic eruption, Applied Optics, vol. 36, No. 27,
INVITED SPEAKER AND SELETECD
- 2010, “Global fire emissions and fire effects on biophysical properties and the associated radiative forcing”, NASA MODIS/VIIRS Science Team Meeting, Washington DC
- 2011, “The influence of burn severity on post-fire vegetation recovery and albedo change during early succession in North American boreal forests”, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- 2011, “Wildland fires in Southern California: a temporal perspective”, NASA Carbon Cycle and Ecosystems Joint Science Workshop, Washington DC
- 2010, “Fire induced changes in albedo and the associated radiative forcing: a comparison of boreal Canada and Australia tropical savannas”, NASA Land Cover and Land Use Change Science Team Meeting, Bethesda, MD
- 2009, “Post-fire albedo change and the associated radiative forcing in northern and southern Canadian boreal forest”, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- 2008, “Estimation of net radiation and evapotranspiration in California using MODIS satellite observations”, AmeriFlux Science Meeting, Boulder, Colorado
- 2007, “Mechanisms controlling California’s carbon budget at an inter-annual timescale”, NASA Jet Propulsion Lab
- 2005, Interannual variability in FPAR and NPP across Californias ecosystems, oral presentation at the Fall AGU Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 2005.
- 2005, Monitoring surface albedo change using MODIS Satellite observations, presented at Divisions of Geological and Planetary Sciences, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, March, 2005.
- 2004, Monitoring global vegetation using satellite remote sensing, presented at Center for Tropical Research, University of California at Los Angeles, CA, November, 2004.
- Operation Systems: Unix, Linux, Windows
- Programming Languages: C, FORTRAN, IDL, MatLab, C Shell Script, Perl
- Applications: ENVI, IMAGINE, ArcGIS, SAS, S-Plus, R
Yufang Jin -- last updated in 2012