The research group develops forward and inverse numerical models to analyze tracer observations and make inferences about the ocean's role in the Earth System.
An important focus is on the application of Bayesian methods to global-scale problems of marine biogeochemistry.
Current research is directed at quantifying:
- the rates and pathways of water-mass transport in the global ocean
- global rates of biological nutrient assimilation, organic matter production and organic matter export
- large-scale variations of organic matter export stoichiometry ( C:N:P:-O2:Si )
- large-scale patterns of marine N fixation rates
- oxygen utilization rates and water-mass ventilation rates