Thank you for your interest in undergraduate research in the Department of Earth System Science. In this research program, students conduct research in the field with a faculty member and gain valuable training. Broad topics of study include atmospheric chemistry, biogeochemical cycles, and physical climate.
- Students must be a science major (from the School of Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Engineering, or Computer Sciences).
- Students must be in good academic standing, major and cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Exceptions to the GPA requirement subject to faculty approval.
The Application Process
1. Figure out which areas and types of research interest you the most.
2. Find a research opportunity.
- Visit the department's Undergraduate Opportunities page.
- Find out more about your professors' research and ask about opportunities to join their teams.
- Visit the UCI Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program page.
3. Make arrangements with a faculty member. Agree upon the number of hours and units of research that will be completed by the end of the quarter.
4. Complete the "UC Labratory Safety Fundamentals" training in UC Learning Center.
5. Fill out the Research Application. We will verify the faculty member's approval and provide you with authorization to enroll in ESS 199 or ESS H199. Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
6. Once you have completed two quarters of research (ESS 199 or ESS H199), you can apply to complete a senior thesis in Earth System Science.
Note: Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Contact the Student Affairs Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.