How to Conduct Research as an ESS Undergraduate Student

1. Figure out which areas and types of research interest you the most.

2. Find a research opportunity.

3. Make arrangements with a faculty member. Agree upon the number of hours and units of research that will be completed by the end of the quarter.

4. Complete the "UC Laboratory Safety Fundamentals" training module in the UC Learning Center. Upload a pdf of your safety transcript as part of your application.

5. Fill out the Research Application. We will verify the faculty member's approval and provide you with authorization to enroll in ESS 199 or ESS H199. Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.

Once you have completed two quarters of research (ESS 199 or ESS H199), you can apply to complete a senior thesis in Earth System Science.

Information on how to enroll in undergraduate research through summer session can be found here