- What ESS courses will be offered this year?
- I have not yet declared a major and would like to choose a major in the department. What do I need to do?
- What should I do if I want to take a course at another school to satisfy a prerequisite?
- What should I do if I want to take an ESS class that is restricted to majors but I am not an ESS major?
- What if I have a question about enrollment, grades, or graduation?
- Can I satisfy ESS prerequisite and coursework while studying abroad?
- Where can I speak to someone about my major, the department, etc.?
- Additional resources available for UC Irvine Students
Please check the department's website for a list of this year's course offerings (subject to change).
See the UC Irvine Schedule of Classes for the most up-to-date course information.
I have not yet declared a major and would like to choose a major in the department. What do I need to do?
Visit The School of Physical Sciences Change of Major page for an explanation of the requirements you'll need to meet in order to become a Earth System Science or Environmental Science major. Next contact your academic counselor to discuss how to proceed.
It is your responsibility to find out if the course has a UC Irvine equivalent. Contact academic counselors in the Physical Sciences Student Affairs Office. You can also look on www.assist.org for the equivalency, but it is best for you to verify with your counselor the specific course will transfer before you take the class.
What should I do if I want to take an ESS class that is restricted to majors but I am not an ESS major?
The restriction will be lifted once all ESS majors have had the opportunity to enroll. The specific date the major only restriction is removed is listed on the Schedule of Classes in the department comments. At that time, you should be able to register, unless the class is already full.
Yes, ESS students are encouraged to fulfill part of their requirements while studying abroad. Visit the UC Irvine Center for International Education (CIE) for detailed ESS study-abroad options, procedures, and timetables.
Faculty and staff offices for the Department of Earth System Science are located in 3200 Croul Hall (Building 417 on UC Irvine Map). The office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
For academic-related questions, please contact:
Student Affairs Manager
Dr. Julie Ferguson
Vice Chair, Undergraduate Studies
(949)824 - 9411