Students in the Ph.D. program typically take three to five years to obtain their degree.
- Provisional advisor assigned upon entering the program
- Completion of core courses and three quarters of residence
- Principal advisor in place by the end of the spring quarter
- Research identified, proposed and presented in ESS practicum
- Completion of ESS Comprehensive Exam, with recommendation to continue for the Ph.D.
- Summer research based on practicum proposal, following comprehensive exam
- Appointment of Advancement Committee
- Serve as teaching assistant
- Complete Advancement to Candidacy Examination with recommendation for advancement as Ph.D. candidate
- Complete teaching assistant requirements
- Meet with committee annually
- Dissertation research and writing
- Approval and submission of doctoral dissertation
- Dissertation defense