Top 10 Reasons to Join the Department of Earth System Science
1. In Fall 2010, the National Research Council ranked the Department of Earth System Science at UC Irvine as one of the country's top three Earth science research doctorate programs.
2. The wide-ranging expertise of our distinguished and highly recognized faculty allows students to learn valuable scientific skills in the classroom, laboratory, and field.
Our faculty include:
- American Geophysical Union Fellows
- American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- The Oceanography Society Fellows
- National Academy of Sciences Members
- Bower Award & Prize for Achievement in Science recipients
- Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters Members
- Lead and contributing authors to the IPCC's Nobel Prize-winning reports
3. Earth System Science Ph.D. students receive a competitive stipend, fully-covered tuition and fees, health insurance, and guaranteed on-campus housing.
4. Our research facilities include state-of-art laboratories, technology, and advanced instrumentation.
5. UC Irvine ranks first among U.S. universities and seventh among international universities under 50 years old in a report by Times Higher Education.
6. UC Irvine is listed by SIERRA Magazine as the number one 'Coolest School' in the nation and honored in the Princeton Review's 2014 Green Honor Roll.
7. We live, learn, and work on a beautiful campus in a lovely Mediterranean climate zone, only minutes away from the beach.
8. We've been awarded over $20 million in grants over the last three years. Funding sources include NSF, NASA, DOE, NOAA, and various foundations.
9. You never know where you'll end up! We can be found flying in the top of the troposphere, trekking though tropical regions, exploring remote areas, sailing the world ocean, drilling into the ice of Antarctica, and designing computer simulations as they seek to understand how the Earth system works.