The Department of Earth System Science (ESS) offers many opportunities for undergraduates to engage in research. By reading about faculty members and their research groups, a student can better gauge what area he or she is most interested in.
Steps for conducting research:
- Do some research yourself! Explore various areas of study to have a better understanding of the type of research that interests you most.
- Talk to professors. They are the best resources to give you more information about their own research and how you can contribute.
- Enroll in ESS 191 (when available) to find out more about research opportunities in the department.
- Choose a project. Once you've decided what you'd like to do, approach faculty members about working with them.
- Apply. Fill out the Research Application and enroll in ESS 199 or ESS H199.
Resources for Students Interested in Research
- UC Irvine ESS Research Application for Undergrads
- UC Irvine ESS Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- UC Irvine Earth System Science Library Subject Guide
- University Research Opportunities Program for UC Irvine Undergraduates