Concentration in Geosciences Education with Secondary Teaching Certification
This concentration allows students pursuing the B.A. in Environmental Science to earn a bachelor's degree and complete the required course work and field experience for a California Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential at the same time. With careful, early planning, it is possible for students to complete the bachelor's degree and the secondary teaching certification in four years. For additional information about teacher certification requirements and enrollment procedures, see page 384 in the University of California, Irvine General Catalogue. Interested students are strongly encouraged to contact the Physical Sciences Student Affairs Office or the Cal Teach Resource and Advising Center.
- One course selected from Earth System Science courses: 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 15, 17, 21, or 23. All of the following Earth System Science courses: 60A-B-C, 114, 180, 182, and 192
- All of the following courses: Chemistry 1A-B-C and 1LC-LD or H2A-B-C and H2LA-LB-LC, Biological Sciences 93 and 94.
- Three courses from the following: Mathematics 2A-B, 4, 7; Social Science 9A-B-C, 10A-B-C; Economics 15A-B; Earth System Science 19, 116, 134.
- Four courses from the following: Sociology 1, 2, or 3; Economics 13, 20A-B; Planning, Policy, and Design 4, 134, 139, 140, or 151; Biological Sciences E189; Earth System Science 110, 178; Logic and Philosophy of Science 60.
Two electives each from the following three categories:
Any upper-division, 4-unit course in Earth System Science
(199/H199 may count only once; the combination of 190A and 190B may be used as one elective requirement);
courses may not be used as electives if counted toward degree requirements.
Chemistry 51A, 51B and 51LB, 51C and 51LC, H52A and H52LA, H52B and H52LB, H52C;
Biological Sciences 20, 55, 65, 97, 98, 99, E106, E138; E140; E150; E151; E160; E161L; E166; E167; E172; E174; E175; E176; E178; E179; E179L; E181; E182; E184; E186; E189 Physics 3A, 3B, 3C, 7C, 14, 20A, 20B, 20C, 20D.
Economics 100A-B-C, 141A-B-C, 142A-B-C, 144A-B-C, 144T, 145E, 145L;
Sociology 31, 43, 44, 110, 141, 147A, 171. Planning, Policy, and Design 135.
- Any upper-division, 4-unit course in Earth System Science
- Physical Sciences 5 and 105, Chemistry or Physics 193, Logic and Philosophy of Science 60, Education 55, 109, 143A, 143B, 148, and two quarters of 158.
|ESS 1||Math 2A||Statistics 7|
|Chemistry 1A||Chemistry 1B||Chemistry 1C, 1LC|
|Physical Sciences 5||Gen Ed||Gen Ed|
|ESS 60A||ESS 60B||ESS 60C|
|Physical Sciences 105||Chemistry or Physics 193||Log & Philo Sci 60|
|Sociology 1||Sociology 3||Approved Elective|
|Bio Sci 93||Bio Sci 94||ESS 114|
|Education 55||Education 143A||Education 143B|
|ESS 116||ESS 180||ESS 182|
|Approved Elective||Approved Elective|
|Approved Elective||Education 109||Approved Elective|
|Approved Elective||Education 158||Education 158|
|Education 148||Gen Ed||Gen Ed|