Feb 27, 2015 3:32 GMT
World’s challenges demand science itself change – and fast, UCI’s Steve Davis, others say in article
Feb 6, 2015 3:01 GMT
UCI study explains different patterns in North American, Eurasian blazes
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs) for PhD in Earth System Science
- Understand how basic sciences (physics, chemistry, mathematics, and biology) relate to the major processes and systems governing Earth’s climate, biogeochemical cycles, and global change.
- Explain the current and projected future state of the Earth system in the context of past climate change and current human activities.
- Acquire a multidisciplinary vocabulary sufficient to understand the scientific literature relevant to Earth system science.
Research Methods and Analysis:
- Understand the methods used to collect and analyze or simulate environmental data, and to interpret results in the context of underlying theory.
- Acquire sufficient specialized knowledge to conduct independent research.
- Use pedagogical practices in discussions, lesson plans, and/or lectures to lead a group to improved understanding of scientific material
- Effectively communicate scientific knowledge in talks, posters, and manuscripts.
- Work collaboratively to understand and address complex problems related to the Earth system.
- Design and conduct original high quality research.